A Spring Cleaning Guide for Your Doors and Windows
It may seem like it was just spring cleaning time but it’s truly that time again. The days are starting to get longer, the sun is out to enjoy, and the warmer weather means cozy days and nights. This means it’s time to open your windows and let in the air – but it also means it’s time to clean those windows and doors.
Get ready for spring cleaning
The first thing to do is to take a walk around your property and look at your windows and doors. Check for drafts and leaks. Make sure you have the right cleaning utensils for the job. If you see chipping or peeling paint then that’s a good sign you may have water intruding into your home. If you see an area between the frame of your door or window and the wall, then you’ll need to seal it. Otherwise, water can get inside and cause damage to your building.
Tips for cleaning your windows
Once you’ve gotten ready, there a few tips you can follow to get your windows as clean as possible.
- Get everything you need, including glass cleaner, a soft brush, lint-free cloths (or paper towels), and a squeegee. If you want to make your own window cleaner, mix together rubbing alcohol, white vinegar, and water.
- Wash your windows on a cloudy day to prevent streaks.
- Wash your window frames using the soft brush and just water and light dish soap. Then rinse and wipe dry.
- To clean the glass, use your squeegee and wipe the blade with your lint-free cloth or paper towel.
Tips for cleaning your doors
Next up, let’s discuss some ways to keep your doors clean this spring.
- Get your cleaning solution ready. You can buy some or make some with baking soda, liquid soap, and hot tap water.
- Get rid of any debris that’s in the way, such as dirt or leaves.
- Use a duster or soft rag to wipe down your door frame.
- Get a rag and dip it into your soapy water and then wipe the doorframe from top to bottom.
- Apply the cleaner with a sponge and wipe it clean with a soft rag.
- Clean off the knobs and handles.
Following these simple tips is a great start toward your spring cleaning. Of course, it’s also a good opportunity to see if your doors or windows are in need of replacement. If you find that they are, feel free to contact Charles Window for a free in-home consultation.